Healthier People = Healthier Bottom Line
No one has ever heard someone exclaim, “ldquo;Life is so much better being obese, exhausted and on three different meds for Type 2 diabetes.” Or, “I thrive on anxiety! Besides, my kids love it when I come home from work all stressed out.” Or, “It’s okay that I can’t keep up with my grandkids anymore.”
Truth is, everyone wants to be healthy. But not everyone has the expertise or resources to get and stay healthy. They need an expert in their corner helping them achieve their goals.
Prairie States offers customizable wellness programs that enable your clients to be pro‐active and make a difference in the lives of their co-workers. Health coaches empower employees to adopt a healthy lifestyle, make better choices, and focus on their health and wellness.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “employers benefit from workplace health programs through increased employee attendance, enhanced productivity and lower insurance costs.”1 More than two-thirds of U.S. employers now offer a company wellness program as part of their benefits package to realize these benefits.2
Good for the Body… Good for the Bottom Line
Recent studies say that addressing employee wellness decreases healthcare costs. For instance:
- Every $1 invested in employee wellness yields an ROI of $1.50, or $3.80 when targeting chronic diseases.3
- Potentially preventable illnesses, including high blood pressure, a sedentary lifestyle, stress, smoking and obesity, make up 70% of all healthcare claims. A Prairie States’ wellness program provides the necessary resources to help reverse preventable illnesses, realize significant healthcare savings and improve lives.4
- Employee absenteeism is a heavy cost burden for employers, representing a large contributor to lost revenue and productivity.5 Reverse the former and resolve the latter.
Easy Does It
Prairie States offers wellness programs and services that help employers: achieve greater employee engagement, lower healthcare costs, increase productivity and lower absenteeism.
Two of our services, Utilization Management and Case Management, are included in every Prairie States plan. Three optional services include Condition Management, which treats long-term or chronic conditions; Optimal Health, which features one-on-one health coaching, and FiveStar Health, which offers full-service attention for all members.
To create a wellness program, we’ll analyze your client’s data, assess needs, identify challenges and review company goals. Then we’ll design a unique program that’s just the right fit. Some recommendations are extremely simple and easy to implement. They could include:
- Educational clinics
- Vending machines with healthy food choices
- Company-wide walking club
- Weekly, emailed health tips
- Recipe cards for nutritious meals in the lunchroom
Grander and more targeted recommendations could include:
- Individual, incentivized programs
- Company-wide challenges
- An onsite fitness center or gym memberships
- Wearable fitness trackers
- One-on-one health coaching
Prairie States will work with you to develop a wellness program that best suits your clients’ needs and financial goals. Then count on our experience and expertise to get employees healthier while improving the bottom line. 1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion | Division of Population Health. “Benefits of Health Promotion Programs.” Last updated October 23, 2013. http://www.cdc.gov/workplacehealthpromotion/businesscase/benefits/
2. Vicky Valet. Forbes. “More Than Two-Thirds Of U.S. Employers Currently Offer Wellness Programs, Study Says.” JUL 8, 2015. http://www.forbes.com/sites/vickyvalet/2015/07/08/more-than-two-thirds-of-u-s-employers-currently-offer-wellness-programs-study-says/#18b273e76c7b
3. Christine Eibner. “Healthy Populations and Communities: In Depth.” Rand Corporation/Rand Health. http://www.rand.org/health/key-topics/populations-communities/in-depth.html.
4. Wellness Council of America [WELCOA]. “A WELCOA Expert Interview.” https://www.welcoa.org/uploads/pdf/survey/larry_chapman_interview_roi.pdf. Page 4
5. Kronos. “Total Financial Impact of Employee Absences.” Study commissioned by Kronos Incorporated and conducted in collaboration with SHRM. http://www.kronos.com/pr/shrm-and-kronos-examine-how-employee-absences-impact-organizations-and-their-workforces-around-the-world.aspx.
Prairie States Enterprises, Inc. is a third-party health benefits plan administrator that brings industry expertise and a clinical focus to self-insured companies. Our in-house claims administration, health management services, wellness programs, plan analysis and predictive modeling tools result in remarkable and unprecedented cost control for employers. We also provide the most compassionate and personalized level of service for plan members.